Friday, January 17, 2014

21 Going On 13

Looking eight years younger than your actual age is not only humiliating but also it's depressing. It is especially embarrassing when your trying to buy alcohol and the cashier looks at my ID then at me for a good five minutes to make sure that these are the same two people. Finally the cashier deems the ID real but before she rings me up she screams to the entire liquor store "You can't be 21 you look 13 years old."

"Yeah I get that a lot" is my go to response because I don't know if I should say thanks or convince them my age. People mistaking my age happens the majority of the time. At doctor and dermatologist appointments the nurses always ask where my Mom is and why she isn't in the room with me.

I guess I understand why people think I'm so young because during the week you can always catch me rocking the natural look. A little blush, lipgloss, lashes curled, and sometimes eyeliner on my waterline is the go to routine. Even though it can be annoying be mistaken for someone just starting in high school when I'm actually a junior in college it also is kind of funny.

When I meet people when I go to the bars or parties at school sometimes people won't recognize me at first without my glamourous makeup across my eyelids. After they register who I am they sometimes comment how I look different then when I'm going out. Which seems like a backhanded compliment to me but that's not going to make me come to class in a full face of makeup.

For now my baby face may seem like a nuisance but in ten years I may be lucky to look 21. Forget about that microscopic wrinkle on your forehead you can't see it yet. What you should be thinking about is trying to get the kids menu while your out to eat because when do we ever get the time to go back to being kids again?


No comments:

Post a Comment